Every so often a singular room launches a color craze. You might think of it as the "tipping point room" - that one additional photo that makes you think, "I've got to have this color in my house!" In my opinion, Anna Beth Chao's bedroom, recently featured in All the Best's bedroom contest, is that tipping point room. Painted in Farrow & Ball's Down Pipe (26), it is modern, stately, chic and cozy all at once. I could be wrong, but I think the success of Anna Beth's room may inspire alot of people to try this gorgeous deep blue gray in their own homes. **Update - Anna Beth has a blog - www.hashai.com **Design by Anna Beth Chao, Reader's Choice Award and Honorable Mention - All the Best Bedroom Contest

Farrow & Ball's Down Pipe is used on the ceiling of this formal dining room with it's very hip gold chandelier. Designer Jessica Lagrange Interiors, image from Chicago Home, Sep - Oct 2009

Anna Beth said her choice of Down Pipe was inspired by the designs of Abigail Ahern. Here are two rooms from Ahern's own apartment.

A room featured in Ahern's book, A Girls Guide to Decorating, graces the November 2009 cover of Living etc.

In Canadian House & Home's Makeovers special edition they feature Down Pipe in their Most Wanted section, pg.24 (thank you Terri of Windlost). They also offer two alternative paints that are close in color: Brainchild CL3216A by General Paints and Knight's Armor 518-6 by Pittsburgh Paints.
I'm not sure if the wall in this interior by John Jacob Zwiegelaor is Down Pipe, but it's fairly close.
Back in the beginning of September, I painted the fake 50's stone hearth and surround of my fireplace with Down Pipe after I changed the wall color from a green yellow to a light blue gray.
At the time I was feeling quite pleased with myself because I only spent $14 to finish the project, $7 for each sample pot. But now it's all gone and I'm sitting around here conjuring up what other surfaces in my house I can paint Down Pipe!
I guess I should have forked up the $89 and bought a gallon...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top