Recently, I grabbed a gilded tole lamp at an estate sale for a great price. While it looked a little Liberace in its original state, I could see the potential.
Simply removing the dangling crystals made a world of difference. Then I needed a new shade as I thought the old one dwarfed the lamp and dated it as well.

I found a smaller-scaled cylindrical paper shade at our Habitat store for $12. Sold! While I thought the size and shape would work (see the older shade in the background), I prefer black shades, especially with the gold of the lamp. So, I grabbed some black acrylic paint and a paintbrush and got to work. While I considered spray painting the shade (I might have if it were a fabric shade), I wasn't sure the paper shade would hold up to that kind of saturation so I decided against it. Has anyone ever spray painted a paper shade before?

The shade still needs a second coat of paint, but I went ahead and placed it on the lamp to see the difference. 
A little Hollywood Regency glam without the Liberace factor (nothing against Liberace, of course). What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top