Back in 2010 I had reached my limit with our 1950's pink master bathroom so I had to choose: gut or make-do somehow. If we were going to spend the money to gut-it, then I would want it to be larger but that would mean giving up on the plans for an expanded closet. I also realized that if the pink tiles had been white then I would have just gone ahead with a cosmetic makeover. Since I had success painting the seafoam green accent tiles in our hall bathroom (post here), the decision was made to paint-out the pink.I used two thin coats of Sherwin Williams Prep-Rite Interior/Exterior Bonding Primer and two coats of Benjamin Moore Decorator's White, applied with a sponge brush. I know there are specially formulated paints for ceramic but I didn't want to be exposed to the fumes. Plus, these tiles won't regularly come into contact with water.For years I had kept my eye out for a narrow vanity. That year Ikea came out with the Lillangen, which offers both concealed storage and creative two-sided open storage. This model is 24"w x 16"d x 36" h. I bought the beech version because the wood finish is easier to paint than the white melamine option.
The cabinet is painted Farrow & Ball's Pavillion Gray and the walls and ceiling are Benjamin Moore's Bunny Gray. The floors are 1 x 1 Bianco Carrara honed marble surrounded by a border of 3 x 6 honed subway Bianco Carrara.I don't have it pictured here but we had a Panasonic Whisper ceiling exhaust fan installed. We were so happy with the Toto Aquia Dual Flush we put into our hall bath that we used it again here.
The Ikea sink only had one opening and I wanted to avoid a single lever faucet so I chose Porcher's Reprise faucet in chrome (now discontinued). The handles are labeled hot and cold and have a nice feel to them. Off to the left is a Bombay Saphire gin bottle converted into a soap dispenser. You might notice the faucet is off center by about a 1/2 inch. I forgot to take into consideration the cold water valve when measuring!Lillangen cabinet and sink: $229
Mosaic and subway tiles: $740
Installation of floor, labor cost: $800
Porcher faucet: $270
Toto Aquia dual flush - $392
Paint: $100
Ceiling exhaust fan and installation: $400

Total cost: $2931

2012 - The shower stall is still pink. It doesn't bother me so I have a feeling that when we finally decide to sell our house, I'll have it professionally reglazed. However, this summer I am planning to replace the old glass door with a new, frameless one. (We also had the carpenter remove the drywall overhang so the opening goes straight to the ceiling.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top