I've just returned from 11 days in Texas and if I was a free lance magazine scout I'd be calling Country Living right now to tell them about The White House in Fredericksburg! (this cottage is available to rent - I don't receive any form of payment for this recommendation - I just think it's a great place to stay) It's a two bedroom cottage with painted white floors throughout and a restrained neutral palette with black accents. All the exterior and interior doors were painted black - this is the front door. As soon as my best friend and I entered we started clicking away with our cameras. We decided it's got to be one of three options - either (1) the owner is a talented designer, (2) is not a designer and is naturally talented or (3) hired a talented designer.
Everywhere you looked there was something pleasing to the eye. The living room centered around white slipcovers paired with a fun zebra ottoman and a ticking stripe bergere chair which was so comfortable. I peaked under the slipcovers and found a disparate mix of fabrics - a great reminder of the power of slipcovers to unify a look.
The cottage was filled with seagrass and sisal, keeping everything light and casual.


Isn't this shelving really interesting? Love the turned detailing. I'm not usually a fan of dolls on display but who was I to temporarily relocate her for this photo? - she stayed happily perched.

One of my favorite spots in the cottage. You see it as soon as you walk through the front door. This oversized mirror visually expands the space and is a great backdrop for the very unique black metal table.
Have you ever come across wonderful frames sans glass for great prices? I've often seen these at estate sales and thrift stores but thought, once I paid for glass, the savings would be gone. Love how the empty frame is used to "frame" these two prints. Notice what's in the trough table - interior design magazines (international to boot)!! Behind the white doors is a closet housing the flat screen tv.


Vintage lighting fixture in the living room. It has amazing detail.

Another very stylish and practical idea - a narrow, wire shelf for face cloths. I'm on the hunt for one of these after seeing this one.

Here's the bedroom I stayed in - featuring black, white and yellow. Love the frame-on-frame here!

The cottage is full of little touches that make the space. The painted armoire is crowned by a straw satchel and interesting bird cage.
These two pics are from the second bedroom which featured soft blue & white bedding (which I forgot to take a picture of!) Love the little blue jar added to the cross bars on this bamboo bedside table.
Hope you've enjoyed the tour. The NEXT POST will feature my favorite room in the cottage - the KITCHEN.
Fredericksburg was a wonderful place to visit and I want to give a special thanks to Hill Country House for sending me the most amazing and extensive list of stores and restaurants. Ann's tips and suggestions made all the difference! Do check out her blog- she's been in Boston for the last month and has been sharing her wonderful finds there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top