Picking up the March issue of Veranda, I had no idea of the delights inside. I had heard good things, but I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered the historic Boxwood home in Nashville was featured. I have driven past this house from time to time over the past few years and didn't really know anything about it except that it was undergoing an obvious renovation.
And what a renovation it is . . . 

The house was built in 1914 by architect Charles Platt and the three-year renovation was overseen by famed architect Gil Schafer. You can read more about the impeccable renovation work in Veranda and on Quintessence's blog (as she is a huge Gil Schafer fan). But, of course, what I was most interested in were the interiors. They are gorgeous.
What surprised me most is that the interiors were designed by David Netto. I don't know about you, but what comes to my mind when I hear Netto's name is this: 
Modern baby furniture. Netto started designing children's furniture when he couldn't find an appropriate crib for his daughter eight years ago. Netto Collection quickly became the cool, hip, modern baby furniture manufacturer everyone was buzzing about. 

He sold Netto Collection last year to stroller powerhouse Maclaren. Smart guy. He's also a very cute guy.
I just happened to run across some photos of him while doing online research - I'm always very thorough. After I stopped fantasizing over staring at his photo, I also learned some pretty interesting facts. His father bought Cowtan & Tout during the late 70's running the renowned fabric house through the 80's before starting fabric house Travers in the early 90's. As a result, Netto led a rather charmed life on the Upper East Side of New York in the 80's during the glory days of excess. Having graduated from Sarah Lawrence College and graduate school at Columbia, he later dropped out of Harvard's School of Architecture. He earned his design stripes under the tutelage of famed New York interior designer Bunny Williams before starting his own design firm in 2000. 

Despite his traditional upbringing and training under Williams, his style has a decidedly modern bent.
Netto's former New York living room. I love the clean lines and mixture of precious antiques with modern art and furniture.

 His NY bedroom

Another Netto-designed bedroom

And, lest we forget what he looks like . . .
here he is again next to one of his interiors.

You should definitely check out the March Veranda so you get a closer look at the beautiful interiors of David Netto. But if you just want another glimpse of the man himself . . .
another gratuitous shot. What, me, obsessed? No. Really, I just love the interiors. Really.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top