Yesterday I had a very interesting day, most of it spent gardening, which felt more like toiling in the dirt versus gardening amongst the blooms. Whenever I got hot or cranky (mostly cranky), I'd head in to read the most fascinating blog on gardening - Deborah Silver's Dirt Simple. (Deborah is the owner of Detroit Garden Works.)
I'm only just discovering it, so there's years of posts to read. That's where I came across this pair of flambeau garden finials (here) from an old Sotheby's catalog she had. Deborah noted that flambeau is flame or torch in French. Aren't these amazing?
Here's a tole flambeau finial from Linda Horn via 1st dibs
and custom carved wood flambeau finials with acanthus detailing from Edward Harpley, an English firm. Beautiful as well.

But besides the garden finials, this may be my favorite flambeau - a silver table lighter. It was up for auction in 2003 but didn't meet the minimum. I wonder what that was and where this piece is now? (via icollector here)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top