First of all, thank you for all the sweet comments about my hair and my daughter's birthday - both are much appreciated, and Meg had a wonderful weekend. Now, on to the Dorothy Draper drama (I could've titled this post something like "All's Fair in Love & Craigslist" or "Espana Saga" but went for alliteration). It all started about 5 p.m. Wednesday when I spotted this ad while perusing Craigslist. My jaw dropped and my heart started racing as I immediately dialed the number to inquire. The listing had only been up for 30 minutes. Surely, I had a chance, right?
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE
I was apparently second in line; someone had already called about it. So, I did something I've never done before on CL . . . I offered above the asking price - $50. I figured that would clinch it, and it did . . . for a little while. We had a plan to meet the next morning at 9 a.m. Then I get a text at 8:30 a.m. from the seller saying that she had two higher offers and couldn't sell it to me. Luckily, I had sold some shelves on CL earlier in the week and had enough cash to match the higher offer. The deal was back on, and I was literally on my way when she texted again saying the person whose offer I matched just told her what a treasure they had - a Dorothy Draper chest. So, she wanted to hold off and do some research before selling it. Seriously?! I was so furious at this "informant" who ruined my transaction out of spite. Who does that? I'm sorry, but if a person doesn't know what they have . . . that's their problem. If you have no clue what I'm talking about, these chests go for thousands on eBay and 1stDibs. 

I was offering the CL seller perfectly good money - more than they initially asked for, and by the way, they were given this piece by a friend who was moving. So, they didn't even pay for it. Anyway, long story even longer, the CL seller ended up selling it for $600 (way out of my price range) to a dealer who then probably turned around and listed it on eBay for a couple thousand or put it in their store for twice that amount. The moral of the story? I have no idea, other than I don't think I or my clients are meant to have a Dorothy Draper Espana chest (remember this post?). And some people are douchebags. The whole dream of CL or thrifting is that you'll find a gem that someone doesn't realize is worth anything. Unfortunately, I think those days are gone. 

Some interiors featuring some DD chests, just so I can wallow in my misery . . . 


I have that same vase, by the way.

See how they go in any interior? I didn't even see the one hiding in the corner of this room until Google found it for me.

And lastly, even Sex and the City got in on the DD action (I think these chests were in her Vogue editor Candice Bergen's office)

So, do you have any crazy Craigslist stories of the ones that got away?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top