Week 2 of the Library/Dining Room:  Goodbye orange floors! (before below)  I decided to get rid of them.  They weren't doing the space any favors and I realized that if I really wanted to change this room I needed to actually make some major changes.
Before

We rented a belt sander and my sweet husband spent his Saturday afternoon sanding off the finish.  It happened to be 90 degrees that day and we turned off the AC so the dust wouldn't be dispersed - needless to say it was like being in a dusty sauna.

After 

Next I'll be cleaning off all the dust and painting the floor with one coat of Benjamin Moore Simply White OC-117 followed by 3 coats of Minwax clear polyurethane.    My inspiration is the gorgeous floors of the uber talented Sherry of Design Indulgence.  Sherry was kind enough to give me info on what her floor guys did - which included just the one coat of paint so it would sink into the wood.  You can read more about her floors  here and here. (I know you know she's a veteran of the ORC and is transforming her sister's living room this go around.)



Since the room is a clean slate I've decided I won't be bringing back the danish modern walnut buffet that was my parents. It was a bit too orangey as well and wasn't working against the FB Calke Green (it's in the living room now)  So I emptied it out and put my china into the built-in cupboard.  If you read my Death by Accessories post you may recognize that some a bunch ended up in here as well.



After the floors, it will be time to turn my attention to the drapes.  I bought this floral fabric (which really isn't like me) last winter for this room but let it sit.  I had cold feet.  Well, I'll be going ahead with it after all.  At least I won't have to feel guilty anymore...


After buying the fabric I came across this image from Julia Reed's New Orleans home via the Wall St. Journal  here.  My fabric is similar in look to the Claremonts Georges Le Manach Montefontaine Gris that is on the arm chairs.  Love how it looks against the green. (photography by Paul Costello)





The twenty-two 1 1/4 in. unlacquered brass curtain rings from Rejuvenation also arrived.  You don't see unlacquered brass for curtain rings very often and these come with an eyelet that turns freely. They're beautiful - can't wait to show them to you when the drapes are ready.

So to recap:  floors sanded and yet to be painted, decision made to use the previously purchased floral fabric for the drapes, and the brass curtain rings arrived.  (if you missed Week One you can check it out here)

Things to do in the next week:  paint and finish the floors, finalize furniture plan, possibly refinish dining room table, get the ball rolling on the drapes

Be sure to also check out the Week 2 progress for the other 19 bloggers in the One Room Challenge and the ORC Linking Party on Calling it Home on Thursday. The last time I looked Linda had 72 amazing participants!

Calling it Home
Chinoiserie Chic
Classic Casual Home
Cottage and Vine
Design Addict Mom
Design Crisis
Design Indulgence
Design Manifest
The English Room
The Green Room Interiors
Henhurst Interiors
Little Black Door
Maddie's Nest
Mix And Chic
Pawleys Island Posh
The Pink Pagoda
Shelter
Simple Details
The Vault Files

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top