Week 4 - Well past the 1/2 way point!  If you happen to be new to my blog, I'm participating in the One Room Challenge - 20 bloggers, 1 room, 6 weeks, created by Linda of Calling It Home.  (previous three weeks here.)

(Image I took back in 2009 in Stacy Hyde's now-closed Dallas store.)

Before I get to the new stuff, here's a quick update on what's been done for my library/dining room:

  •  Floors - finally painted white and finished!   Huge thanks to Sherry of Design Indulgence, Steve of An Urban Cottage and Elizabeth of Little Black Door for holding my virtual hand when things didn't work out at first (including fumes that lingered for days)  After conversing with Elizabeth, I decided to switch to Sherwin Williams floor paint and things went beautifully.  Although I don't have the semi-opaque floors I was originally going for, I'm happy with them.
  • Drapes - almost...done
  • Dining Room table has been refinished.  Years ago I foolishly followed advice to coat it in polyurethane with only served to make the cherry even more orange.  Here it is prior to refinishing.
    I'll be doing a whole post on that because I want to share what not to do after you strip the urethane off- steel wool and hot vinegar is a serious no-no!!!- and how lemon/juice and salt saved my a_ s.  

So, let's move on to fun stuff.

Over the Mantle:   I need to figure out  what do do over my faux fireplace mantle and I'm leaning towards layering a sunburst mirror over another mirror.


Source unknown, image via Interior Exposure

Here's the mirror.  You may recognize it, it's the Martha Stewart from Home Depot {on those new white floors :) }


I've gone over it with Gold Leaf Rub 'n Buff to tone down the orangey finish.





BEFORE:  Here's the view from side french doors to the faux fireplace I'm thinking of having the layered mirrors over.  The plan is for a large piece of abstract art on the wall to the right. So, what do think of this plan?

Furniture:  Besides the dining table and desk, I want to have a buffet or server.  BEFORE, my parent's danish modern buffet was in the dining room.  In my ongoing quest to get rid of orange, the buffet has been moved to the living room

and I plan to bring in this bar cart instead.


I'm returning the hardware back to its original brass finish.

In this case, hot vinegar works well on removing the silver spray paint from the knobs.

Faux Fireplace Screen:

I'm also considering creating a fireplace screen using this marbled paper to try and add some dimension to that space.

Things still left to do:


  • Move furniture in and arrange 
  • Add artwork
  • Add lighting
  • Style shelves and accessorize

I'd love to hear your opinion and suggestions!

Be sure to check out the Week 4 progress for the other 19 bloggers in the One Room Challenge and don't forget  the ORC Linking Party on Calling it Home on Thursday.

Calling it Home
Chinoiserie Chic
Classic Casual Home
Cottage and Vine
Design Addict Mom
Design Crisis
Design Indulgence
Design Manifest
The English Room
The Green Room Interiors
Henhurst Interiors
Little Black Door
Maddie's Nest
Mix And Chic
Pawleys Island Posh
The Pink Pagoda
Shelter
Simple Details
The Vault Files

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top